Q. I cannot complete the security upgrade in OverDrive Media Console in Windows 8.
This answer is in response to the error: 'A problem has occurred in opening the Digital Rights Management data storage file. Contact Microsoft product support.'
Note that we recommend you delete and reinstall the most current version of the Overdrive app, Libby.
This error results from not being able to perform the security upgrade in OverDrive Media Console. In some cases, you may try performing the security upgrade in Internet Explorer by following the steps below.
1. Right-click on your Internet Explorer icon located in the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
2. Right-click on Internet Explorer in the menu and select Run as administrator. If the Run as Administrator option is missing, go to this link to add the option.
3. If the User Account Control displays, press Yes to run Internet Explorer.
4. Launch Internet Explorer (the upgrade can only be performed in Internet Explorer) and paste the following link into your address bar:
5. Once the page has loaded, click the Upgrade button to perform the security upgrade.
If the Upgrade button is grayed out after completing the previous steps, please either press F12 on your keyboard or click on the gear at the top right-hand corner of Internet Explorer and select F12 developer tools.
The Developer Tools box will open at the bottom of Internet Explorer. Click Browser Mode: IE10 Compat View and select Internet Explorer 10 Compatibility View from the drop down box.
Once selected, the Upgrade button will appear black. Click on the button to complete the security upgrade.
Once the upgrade is complete, the ‘Progress Status’ will state 'The security components have been upgraded successfully.’
- Thank you, thank you! I've been searching all over the internet and trying many solutions to get the upgrade to work. It was grayed out, and doing the "IE10 Compatibility" trick worked!
- OMG! I've been chatting with a Microsoft Tech at their Answer Desk and he didn't know the answer, but this solution finally worked for me. I don't really know what it means for "Compatibility View" and such, but I'm a happy person!
- Try the steps on this KB article. It's about as close as you are going to get to a manual download of the update.